Job & Internship Search Strategies
Below are steps ECU Career Services suggests when job or internship searching.
Step 1: Know Yourself and What You Want to Do
Additional career exploration and occupation information tools:
- Focus 2 – In-depth career exploration and multiple self assessments
- Occupation Outlook Handbook
- O*Net Online
Step 2: Know Where You Want to Work
Identify geographic areas and specific employers
North Carolina Specific Information:
Step 3: Get Ready for the Job Search
- Register with Handshake ECU’s exclusive job and internship database.
- Create a resume and cover letter. Have it critiqued by Career Services.
- Create a spreadsheet or system for keeping track of your contacts, interviews, and other job search activities.
- Identify 3 individuals who will serve as references for you and contact them (hint: do not use family).
- Practice your interview skills.
- Buy at least one attractive suit that is appropriate for interviewing in your field.
- Change the outgoing message on your answering machine/voicemail to something that sounds professional in case an employer calls.
- Include a neutral/professional e-mail address on your resume.
Step 4: Start Searching
- Upload your resume to Handshake.
- Check Handshake on a regular basis to search for updated job and internship opportunities.
- Use CareerShift to identify companies in specific geographic areas and industries.
- Stay organized – click here for a tool to help. CareerShift has a built in system for tracking job search activities.
- Develop lists of networking contacts and connect with each one to gather information and referrals.
- From your list of top employers, begin contacting hiring managers to schedule meetings.
- Follow up every cover letter and resume sent with a phone call or e-mail requesting an interview.
- Send thank you letters within 24 hours to every person who offers assistance or interviews you.